Monday 21 November 2011

Chelmsford College students have their say on bullying....

Hannah, 17, a Media Studies student at Chelmsford College attended the Plume School and was a victim of bullying throughout primary and secondary school because of her weight. Hannah’s sexuality came out in year 9 and she also suffered from verbal bullying as a result. Hannah said: “I blame immaturity because it died out when I went to college. I spoke to my parents about it at the start but then I just got used to it and it doesn’t affect me now. Teachers think once they say something then it will just sort itself out.”
When asked what Hannah thought of students being told to ‘act less gay’, she said: “If you’re confident enough with your sexuality then you shouldn’t be told not to act like it.”
George, 18, who attended Hylands secondary school said: “I was bullied up until college because of my culture and the heavy metal music I listen to. I didn’t talk to many people but I went to Connextions for help which has shut down now, even though it shouldn’t have. It’s scary the first time you talk to someone, even if they’re approachable and you don’t want to do it but Connextions were independent, away from family and school, so that helped.”
Amy Christie, 16, moved to Essex three months ago and attended a secondary school in Spain but still suffered from bullying. Amy said: “The people who were bullying me and the things that they were saying were actually the problems with them, not me. They would make me feel down to make me like them. I used to let it affect me but I don’t anymore. They didn’t seem to do anything at school in Spain to help me.”
Charlotte Kingsley, 16, left her first secondary school due to bullying. Charlotte said: “I got bullied. I went to Great Baddow at first and then I moved to Sandon. Baddow wouldn’t help me at all they just thought I was being lazy.”
Siobhan, 18, went to the Plume School said: “I was bullied because I was quite ill a lot so wasn’t there all the time and it just escalated. I spoke to my parents about it but didn’t talk to anyone at school because I didn’t think they would do anything. Looking back now I think I probably should have.”
Kelly, 18, attended Moulsham High School, “I got bullied in year 7 because if someone didn’t agree with what I said then it would just go off. I could go and talk to teachers about it but they would just say the same old thing so wasn’t very helpful.”
Reece Drewl, 16, a public service student from Chelmsford College said: “I didn’t get bullied but there were always people getting bullied verbally for having glasses or being fat. A couple of people would go and speak to the teachers but a lot didn’t because they were too scared about getting people into trouble and making it worse.”
Cain Reed, 16, and Niall Perry 17, are both studying for their A-levels at Chelmsford College. Cain said: “I didn’t really witness bullying, it was just more banter at school. I’ve seen fights between lower years though. There were some kids that didn’t have any friends and people used to make fun of them but they never really helped themselves. One day I tried talk to a boy and he was just really rude back to me so I thought suit yourself.
Niall said: “Teachers don’t do anything, they tell you to go home and talk to your parents. There are groups you can ring and you always get given a number but people don’t ring it. Lunchtime groups might help at school.”

No comments:

Post a Comment